Sunday 19 December 2010

Dear Santa...

So my advent calendar informs me today that we are in fact only five days away from Christmas. Scary stuff. Fortunately all my Christmas shopping is done and the attempts at wrapping can commence. But while I've been doing all this selfless shopping for others, I have simultaneously been selfishly eyeing up the rails in every shop I've entered - and instead of furthering my knowledge and keeping up to date with the latest breaking news, I've been scouring the net for any clothes or accessories I can get my grubby mits on. To suit the seasonal spirit, I have devised a Christmas wishlist consisting of ten coveted items, that will shortly be on it's way to the North Pole in letter form addressed to a certain Mr Claus. Let's hope I've been a good girl this year.

So in no particular order... my Christmas Wishlist:


1) O&O Velvet & Mesh Bodycon Dress, Urban Outfitters


I found this piece of loveliness whilst checking out the ladies section on the Urban Outfitters website. Considering the things I look for in a dress, it ticks all the right boxes. Numero uno - it's velvet. I've had an addiction to velvet for over a year now since it's warm welcome back into the fashion charts and I haven't been able to quit it. It's also perfect for the Christmassy season and the velvet is a good insulator against this slapintheface cold we've been having recently. Stylish and warm, eh. Number two - it's black. And I'm a sucker for LBDs. Failsafe fashion. Number three - the Peter Pan collar and the mesh detail. Peter Pan collars are a surefire way to update any look and mesh material has recently been inserted into everything from dresses to shoes, creating a risque look without the sluttiness to accompany it. I have found that this Peter Pan collar trend 9 times out of 10 just plain doesn't suit me, but with the sense of space built by the mesh between the collar bone and the chest, it breaks up the dress a bit which will flatter more and look less suffocating. And then at number four - it's £45, which for a dress in Urban Outfitters standards, is verrrrrry reasonable and is definately worth picking up. I shall be hinting to my brother and sister about this one.


2) Textured Boyfriend Jacket, Topshop


I have an obsession with jackets. Ask anyone who knows me and they will confirm this. I'd be ashamed to know how many jackets I actually own. It's a ridiculous number, I'll let you know that much. I especially love the boyfriend fit style of blazers, as they work equally well in both smartening up any day clothing or dressing down a going out outfit. I'd wear it with a lace trim dress to contrast with the mannish cut.













3) Karen Gillan's Jumper


Doctor Who's new golden girl has been a hit of colossal proportions in the fashion ratings, never seemingly to put a foot wrong and continually making my eyes green envying her clothes. I couldn't find out where Miss Gillan would have purchased this double decker bus print jumper, but I WANT IT. MINE MINE MINE. Printed jumpers have been all the rage this autumn and winter, allowing us to keep warm whilst still looking cool and quirky. From an alpine scene to a squirrel wearing headphones, the more bizarre the print the better. This has got to be one of my favourite trends of the year as jumpers with these kooky kind of prints tend to reside in vintage shops, (which I love rummaging around in ) which means they're most likely a one-of-a-kind and are usually tagged with purse friendly prices.




4) Brocade Military Tailcoat, All Saints

























Daaaah I love this. Told you I was obsessed with jackets. Doesn't this jacket just make you feel like that it was worn by some sophisticated pirate, or that you need a musket to just own it? This is All Saints designing to perfection. I'm an avid fan of the military look, but the faded appearance and feel of the leather, how lightweight it is (yes, I foolishly tried it on) the ornate detailing on the cuffs and the fact it has a tailcoat makes this particular garment a piece of art. Rather depressingly though, as I discovered once taking the jacket off, it costs the hefty price of £450 (now £315 in the sale). My heart sank. Damn you, All Saints, damn you. Look at it though, isn't it beautiful? I think I'm in love.


5) Asymmetric Corset Maxi Dress, Asos


As dramatic as it sounds, I was enraptured when I saw this dress in a magazine. This stunning dress from Asos (at £85) nails two of this season's prominent trends, asymmetry and the colour red. Red has had a revival, making a fiery comeback in the autumn/winter catwalks showcased this past summer. I personally have always loved the colour red, it flatters every skintone and is perfect for creating an eye catching impact. The retail shops of today are heavily embracing the asymmetric trend, adding an interesting twist on what could be a normal run of the mill dress. The use of chiffon in the asymmetry of this dress ties in with the airy, ethereal, damsel-esque feel that evening dresses are leaning towards these days. I can imagine myself now, wearing this dress, gracefully prancing about the palaces of Fatehpur Sikri in India (went there this summer - google image it, it's a treat for the eyes) waving a red veil in the air behind me, Bollywood styleee.











6) Kettle & Kotch Bandana Watches



Watches have never appealed to me much until my brother bought me one for my birthday and I love it. It fits perfectly, blending in with myriad of bracelets and bangles that decorate my wrist. I think that's what I need in a watch, something that looks more like a bracelet than a what it actually is. That's why these intriguing creations caught my eye. London based watchmaker company Kettle & Kotch have designed a whole range charmingly called 'A Spoonful of Sugar' consisting of these little bandana-watch hybridities. There's ten different designs, all very dainty and floral made with their own individual fabrics. Having made only one hundred of each design, these watches are extremely limited. I, myself would choose the above watch, named 'Fabulous' for its toned down colours and it's go-with-any-outfit versatility.






































7)
Feather Hair Clip, Topshop

We now live in a time where it is not unnormal to find a girl's tresses adorned by flowers or a Grecian hairband. Hair accessories enjoyed playing an integral part in the summer's festival look and they're here to stay with us through the winter and into the new year where supposedly the ethnic (particularly Indian print) look is predicted to be big. I like to think I'm a bit hippie at heart and think this feather hair clip from Topshop would evoke this style perfectly.










8) Maxi Skirt, Topshop


Maxi skirts are a brilliant, demure alternative to all those tiny tiny mini skirts out there. I love the floatiness of this skirt and the asymmetric cutting, (which in this case, flatters a pear shape figure wooo) it would go beautifully with a big baggy jumper to dress it down. Fortunately they're something I can carry off (most of the time) and I found this skirt a couple of months ago and spent weeks deliberating whether I should part with the £60 needed to be able to wear it (times is hard when you're in your overdraft). Unfortunately I left it too long and my size is no longer available, hopefully it'll reappear in their 'back in stock' section. No wonder Topshop have a rail in their store with the words 'Buy it now or regret it later' painted above it.







9) Peacock Feather Mask, Urban Outfitters


I don't know why I want this, I would probably never wear it unless I was frolicking around my room, but isn't it so cool? or to use a less overused adjective, bewitching? Think I need to get invited to masquerade party this New Year's to warrant buying this.












10) Ginger Sheepskin Shearling Car Coat, Topshop


The first thing I want to do whenever I see this picture of this coat, is to maniacally run my hands all over it. What an immense sensation overload for the hands it would be. It's a purchase that requires consideration at the cost of £350 but it's plain to see that this coat would keep you as warm as an oven on gas mark 6 during even the most Arctic temperatures. Ok, not quite Arctic, you'd need the real Millets type of deal for that, but you know what I mean.














No comments:

Post a Comment